Friday, August 17, 2012

Saint and Sinner

I wrote this hymn this afternoon (31 July - I've been using the schedule feature on blogger so you'll be reading this in the future) as a reflection on our dual nature as saints and sinners. It's a hard subject to tackle in prose, let alone hymnity. I don't like the first line; it doesn't capture the depravity of man. While the rest of the hymn does a better job of emphasizing that any good in our lives comes from God, the first line on its own leaves room for the idea that humanity has some innate goodness. What do you think? How theologically sound should hymns be? Any suggestion for an alternative first line?

Tune "Christ Be My Leader" Lutheran Service Book 861

Two natures in me, one good and one dark
What God had made perfect is breaking His heart
Death had claim ov'r us, our goodness was gone
God sent forth Jesus, bought us back with His Son

I have done nothing to gain my new life
Christ did it all, He was the sacrifice
Everything good that I have is from Him
Without His guidance I do nothing but sin

Christ is within me and that is by grace
He came to save us, the whole human race
We're clothed in his righteousness; He set us free
Now we can join Him in eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment