Friday, August 3, 2012

A Friday Special - On Birth Control and Chicken


On Birth Control and Chicken – (Simplistic and not as well written as I would like, but thinking and writing are both processes. Here’s a glimpse at an early step).

I’ve been thinking a lot about “free” birth control and “homophobic” chicken providers recently. Not exactly sure why, but I think it might be because the blog-a-sphere and my news and twitter feeds are blowing up over the birth control mandate (which took effect on Wednesday) and the Chick-fil-A issue (if you don’t know about that yet, I suggest you stay under your rock for a few more days until it blows over). I’m throwing my two cents in, not because I think I will bring anything new to the conversation, but because it’s a good exercise to put one’s thoughts down on paper (or in a word doc in this case).

First, about the birth control thing. I realize that the Church in America enjoys a special freedom here in the U.S. that it doesn’t get anywhere else, and I understand its desire to protect that. However, I think the Church got too focused on its own freedoms and the Law (Law and Gospel Law, not U.S. law), and missed an opportunity for the Gospel.

From what I saw and read about the Church’s response, it seemed their only response was to refuse to pay to provide birth control to those who work for them. Technically, that’s fair. Because of the first amendment, I don’t think its okay for the government to tell the Church it has to pay for something it finds morally reprehensible. The Church, however, I believe is called to be more than fair. We are, to paraphrase Matt Harrison, called to care about people, to make that our business.

There are ways to be more than fair without compromising the Church’s freedoms. I didn’t hear the Church offer any other solutions to the problems that birth control tries to solve. Like offering free counseling or classes, and materials for Natural Family Planning, or providing resources and support for unexpected and unplanned pregnancies to name a couple. Perhaps wouldn’t make financial sense, but I think standing up for our faith without alienating people who disagree with us is worth a few dollars.

And about the chicken: it makes me sad that people are so worried about what should be a non-issue. (As I type this, I realize the irony behind commenting it). I think everyone is so worried about it because it feeds into our penchant for gossiping. “Oh my gosh, did you hear what that fast food owner said about marriage. I am so not going to his restaurant anymore.” I’m hoping we can move past it soon and start worrying about more important things. 

1 comment:

  1. I "LOL'd" when you advised us to stay under our rock until the Chik-Fil-A thing blew over. Probably the best advice you could give someone right now.

    --Ross

    ReplyDelete